{"id":119,"date":"2022-04-26T21:13:23","date_gmt":"2022-04-26T19:13:23","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/?page_id=119"},"modified":"2022-08-07T21:08:45","modified_gmt":"2022-08-07T19:08:45","slug":"juedisches-fuerstenwalde","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/juedisches-fuerstenwalde\/","title":{"rendered":"Jewish F\u00fcrstenwalde"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/wp-content\/uploads\/titel-juedisches-leben.png\" alt=\"Foto Kaufhaus F\u00fcrst\" \/><\/p>\n<h1 class=\"titel-seiten\">Jewish F\u00fcrstenwalde<\/h1>\n<p>The earliest documents mentioning Jewish inhabitants in the areas east of the Elbe date back to the 13th century and thus fall into the late phase of High Medieval land settlement and Ascanian rule in the Margraviate of Brandenburg. Conceivable, yet unproven, is the immigration of Jews as early as 1096 from the Rhineland in the wake of the religious persecutions connected to the First Crusade. The first recorded mention of a Jew in F\u00fcrsten&shy;walde dates from 1379 and concerns an individual called David, who was sentenced to death by burning.<\/p>\n<p>Jewish life in the towns of the Margraviate was determined by the regional ruler\u2019s laws and the so-called \u201cJuden&shy;ordnungen\u201d (Jews\u2019 ordinances), and was consequently depen&shy;dent upon the interests of the king, the prince-elector, the town council and the guilds. In urban communities dominated by Christians, Jews often faced rejection, exclusion and even persecution and violence.<\/p>\n<figure class=\"bild-im-text\">\n<img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/wp-content\/uploads\/juedischer-friedhof-fuewa.jpg\" class=\"foto-rahmen\" alt=\"J\u00fcdischer Friedhof in F\u00fcrstenwalde\/Spree\" \/><figcaption class=\"bildunterschrift\">On the pogrom \u2018Night of the Broken Glass\u2019 from 9&nbsp;to 10 November 1938, F\u00fcrstenwalde\u2019s Jewish cemetery, including its mourning hall, was desecrated and destroyed. Today, the few remaining tombstones \u2013 also known as \u2018matzewot\u2019 \u2013 have been moved from their original locations. This has been a memorial site since 1988.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<p>In 1571, all Jewish residents were expelled from the Margraviate of Brandenburg. It was not until the second half of the 17th century that the regional rulers permitted Jewish families to settle there once again, issuing writs of protection for them. Jews did not return to F\u00fcrsten&shy;walde until around the mid-18th century. The town council hoped in this way to revive the town\u2019s poor economic situation and placed the four newly-settled families under protection. The oldest gravestone from the old Jewish cemetery, located at the \u201cNew Gate\u201d outside the town wall, dates from 1746. The new cemetery in Frankfurter Stra\u00dfe corner of Gr\u00fcnstra\u00dfe was established in 1829.<\/p>\n<h2 class=\"zwtitel\">The jewish community of&nbsp;F\u00fcrstenwalde<\/h2>\n<p>In the first half of the 19th century, around 50 Jews were living in the town. Initially, they belonged to the Jewish congregation of Frankfurt (Oder), but by 1879 they had established their own autonomous congre&shy;ga&shy;tion. At that time, around 100 people of Jewish faith were living in F\u00fcrstenwalde. Religious life was concentrated around the synagogue in Frankfurter Stra\u00dfe. The merchant Julius Meseritzer had converted a residential pro&shy;perty for this purpose in 1870. The congre&shy;gation employed a cantor, who also acted as shochet (kosher butcher), but it did not have its own rabbi.<\/p>\n<p>In 1873, the Jewish pedagogue Markus Reich founded an educational institution for hearing-impaired Jewish children, the \u201cIsra&shy;elitische Taubstummen&shy;anstalt\u201d (ITA \u2013 Israelite School for Deaf Mutes), at Neuen&shy;dorfer Stra\u00dfe 5 in F\u00fcrstenwalde. It was the only institution of its kind in the entire German Empire. Indeed, the latter did not introduce compulsory edu&shy;cation for all deaf-mute and blind children until 1911. The institution, which was funded by an association, enabled these children and young people to receive a basic education, but also offered vocational training and in&shy;struction in starting businesses. Training places were in such high demand that in 1888 the ITA had to move to a larger building on a more spacious site in the Wei\u00dfensee district of Berlin.<\/p>\n<figure class=\"bild-im-text\">\n<img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/wp-content\/uploads\/kaufhaus-flatauer-fuewa.jpg\" class=\"foto-rahmen\" alt=\"Kaufhaus Flatauer in F\u00fcrstenwalde\/Spree\" \/><figcaption class=\"bildunterschrift\">The Jewish merchant Otto Flatauer opened his large department store in the centre of F\u00fcrstenwalde in 1913. Shortly before the end of World War II, the entire town quarter was set on fire and destroyed. Today, the district court is located on the site.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<p>By the beginning of the 20th century, around 150 to 160 Jewish citizens lived all over F\u00fcrsten&shy;walde. They worked as doctors, dentists, lawyers, photographers; they sat on the town council \u2013 like the long-time chairman of the Jewish community Hermann Casper \u2013 and ran businesses and department stores. On and around the town square, people could shop in the department stores of the families <a href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/paula-marcuse\/\">Marcuse<\/a>, <a href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/julius-fuerst\">F\u00fcrst<\/a>, <a href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/eugen-brandt\">Brandt<\/a>, Gottfeld or <a href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/herbert-flatauer\">Flatauer<\/a> \u2013 with the latter boasting the town\u2019s first lift. The shopping streets of F\u00fcrstenwalde contained a further 32 Jewish-owned shops.<\/p>\n<p>The Henry Hall machine factory and iron foundry on the bank of the River Spree be&shy;longed to the Jewish Behrendt family. It is highly likely that the industrial plant \u201cGebr\u00fcder Pintsch Werke\u201d employed Jewish workers. The chemist and inventor <a href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/hans-klopstock\">Dr Hans Klopstock<\/a> worked in the Ketschendorf branch of \u201cDeut&shy;sche Kabelwerke AG\u201d (German Cable Works, today F\u00fcrsten&shy;walde South), which had been founded by the Berlin-based Jewish entrepreneurial family Hirschmann.<\/p>\n<p>In 1928, the Jewish community expanded its cemetery and solemnly inaugurated the mourning hall in a ceremony open to the broader public. There are unconfirmed rumours of a mikvah \u2013 a ritual bath \u2013 on Frankfurter Stra\u00dfe. In addition to serving the town\u2019s Jewish community, the F\u00fcrstenwalde synagogue also served eight other Jewish communities in Alt-Madlitz, Beeskow, Berkenbr\u00fcck, Briesen, Demnitz, Hangelsberg, Neuendorf im Sande and Bad Saarow.<\/p>\n<p>In Neuendorf im Sande, an agricultural and crafts training camp, established in 1932, prepared Jewish adolescents and young adults for emigration, mainly to Palestine. About 200 young people lived in the Hachshara camp until 1941.<\/p>\n<h2 class=\"zwtitel\">Hate and extermination<\/h2>\n<p >After the National Socialists seized power in 1933, the situation changed dramatically as Jews found themselves facing increasing levels of hatred and humiliation. Many families left the town. During the pogroms that took place on and around 9 November 1938, the fascists wantonly smashed and looted most of the shops, set fire to the synagogue, and desecrated and destroyed the cemetery and its mourning hall. Numerous male Jews were sent into \u201cprotective custody\u201d, mostly to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. Shortly before the outbreak of war in 1939, no more than 26 Jews were still living in F\u00fcrstenwalde. In 1941, those of the town\u2019s remaining Jewish inhabitants who were not protected by being in a so-called \u201cmixed marriage\u201d were deported to their deaths.<\/p>\n<figure class=\"bild-im-text\">\n<img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/wp-content\/uploads\/fuewa-ns-marktplatz.jpg\" class=\"foto-rahmen\" alt=\"Ansprache eines NSDAP-Mitgliedes in F\u00fcrstenwalde\/Spree\" \/><figcaption class=\"bildunterschrift\">In 1937, F\u00fcrstenwalde\u2019s New Town Hall was inaugurated. Standing on his soapbox in front of the building is Paul Gottsleben, mayor of F\u00fcrstenwalde from 1934 to 1945 and committed National Socialist. On the right in the background, the shop of the Jewish Heilbut family is visible.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<p>In 1941, the National Socialists converted the former Jewish training camp in Neuendorf im Sande into a forced-labour camp, where they imprisoned young people from various German Hachshara camps. The best-known forced workers of Neuendorf were the musician Esther Bejarano and the quizmaster Hans Rosenthal, who had to work in a flower shop or at the cemetery in F\u00fcrstenwalde. By 1943, all prisoners had been deported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp, where most were murdered.<\/p>\n<p class=\"autor\">Text: Justyna Gralak<br \/>Translation: Jennifer Feldman<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Jewish F\u00fcrstenwalde The earliest documents mentioning Jewish inhabitants in the areas east of the Elbe date back to the 13th century and thus fall into the late phase of High Medieval land settlement and Ascanian rule in the Margraviate of Brandenburg. Conceivable, yet unproven, is&hellip; <a class=\"read-more\" href=\"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/juedisches-fuerstenwalde\/\">Read more<\/a><\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":0,"parent":0,"menu_order":0,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"footnotes":""},"class_list":["post-119","page","type-page","status-publish","hentry"],"translation":{"provider":"WPGlobus","version":"3.0.2","language":"en","enabled_languages":["de","en"],"languages":{"de":{"title":true,"content":true,"excerpt":false},"en":{"title":true,"content":true,"excerpt":false}}},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/119","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=119"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/119\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.stolpersteine-fuerstenwalde.de\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=119"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}