born 24 July 1922 in Berlin
died 1943 (?) in Auschwitz-Birkenau
historical former address
Stumbling stone Dr.-Wilhelm-Külz-Straße 45
Date of stone-laying 6 November 2021
parents Hans and Frieda Klopstock (née Bütow) moved to Ketschendorf near Fürstenwalde in 1931. The move from Berlin was necessitated by the relocation of Hans Klopstock’s job as a chemist with the cable manufacturer “Deutsche Kabelwerke AG”.
Until his father’s death in December 1938 in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, Werner lived with his family in a flat with a garden at Dr.-Wilhelm-Külz-Straße 45. Werner attended elementary school in Fürstenwalde and also started secondary school there. From 1935 onwards, however, he was a pupil at the Jewish Secondary School at Große Hamburger Straße 27 in Berlin. He began his vocational training as a gardener in 1937 at the Israelite Horticultural School in Ahlem near Hanover. On 1 April 1940, he took up work as a gardener at the Jewish Cultural Association of the synagogal community in Halle.
From 1941 onwards, he was obliged to perform forced labour, first on the Neuendorf Estate and later, until 27 February 1943, on the Rohrscheidt Manor in Garzau (Märkisch Oderland). Together with 1,735 others, he was deported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp on 1 March 1943 and murdered. His mother Frieda Klopstock shared his fate; his sister Hanna Ruth fled to France in 1938 and survived the Shoah.